So, when I discovered this blog called Idle Fancy, I really got inspired. I saw this beautiful woman wearing beautiful dresses. Lots of them floral, just my kind of thing! I perused her entire list of linked blogs too and therefore my Bloglovin’ app now keeps me occupied a lot. But it was Idle Fancy’s post about McCall’s 6696 that made me want to make one too, thank you!
I wanted to make it, because most of the dresses I own are very similar to the Moneta. They come from Dorothy Perkins in the UK. But here was a dress with a collar, and belt loops and buttons! It was a project I could learn so much from, because I had never inserted sleeves, never sewn and attached a collar and never sewn a single button hole. My machine has a 4-step button hole function only, so it was quite scary!
I started with some green cotton I bought at the weekly market for 2 euros per metre. I made a size 22 D-cup bodice and a size 22 skirt. I quickly realised the bodice was too big and the waistband was too short, so I had to lengthen that and consequently I had to adjust the pleats for the dress. Because it was a muslin I didn’t use interfacing for the waistband and collar, and the colour made it look like a 1950s waitress uniform, so it’s not wearable, well maybe for this crazy ‘dress up and drink beer’ event people call ‘carnaval’.
Then I bought some cheap stretchy denim at the market and I figured I’d make version D with that, I decided on a size 20 C-cup for the bodice, but needed a size 24 for my belly. I made some newbie mistakes. I cut the pieces double layer, so the fabric pattern is off and I totally didn’t think about the side seams. Obviously I should have adjusted the skirt parts so the side seams would match up. I also didn’t stick to the seam allowance for the collar, so it came out a bit big. I did for the dress I want to talk about today though, and it’s still big and wide, so I might need to tweak it further.
It’s McCall’s 6696 version B, with a size 22 C-cup bodice and a size 22 pleated skirt. I adjusted the waistband to fit. I feel the bodice could actually be a bit smaller ( I made a size 22 because the denim was way stretchier so I was afraid it would be too small), but I would need to adjust the sleeves, because they are a tad tight.
Halfway through making this dress my sewing machine decided it didn’t like me anymore. The transporter was stuck and the underthread kept pulling at the fabric. I managed to save my button placket, but had to take the machine to get fixed. I thought it would be an easy fix, but unfortunately the repair man didn’t agree and I was left with half a dress to finish and no sewing machine…. I could borrow my mother-in-law’s 1980s sewing machine though and managed to finish the dress in time for my husband’s birthday yesterday. It was enormously frightening and quite a challenge. sewing those 10 buttonholes….
There definitely will be more of these dresses to come!