Adelaide in pink “…’cause today it just goes with the fashion”.

Actually, I doubt the colour pink is in fashion this summer. But when given the chance to integrate a song lyric into a blog about sewing one must take it, right?

Seamwork Adelaide 04

A while ago when I saw the Adelaide dress in Seamwork magazine, I just knew it would be a perfect project for me. Only three hours, right? And a lovely summer dress to boot!

So I printed the pattern, taped it together while watching a show on Netflix (so there’s 45 minutes gone), chose size 20 based on the sizing chart, traced, cut, pinned, cut and then I had a stack of pieces of a dress that I didn’t touch for days.

Then, when I had pinned the back to the front, I figured it was going to be a tight fit. I decided to finish the button placket first, so I could get a better idea. I also used a small seam allowance on the sides. Yes, well as you can see, it’s a little snug. A little too snug.

Seamwork Adelaide 03

I admitted defeat and hung up my unfinished dress in my sewing room. Another two weeks passed by. Then this weekend, I tried it on again and figured I was going to finish it. I’d spent hours making bias tape and I knew that if I didn’t finish the dress now it would probably never get finished.

I made some changes. I had sewn the shoulders together, but there was a lot of gaping at the back. I realigned the shoulder seams, which reduced the gaping somewhat, but it didn’t solve the problem completely. It probably has to do with the fact the bodice is too tight as a whole. The bust darts are a bit high too.
I used a very-sewing-machine-friendly pink cotton chambray. The dress is originally designed with snaps instead of buttons, but I went to the market in between lessons and meetings, the haberdashery market stall didn’t have any suitable snaps, so I went with buttons instead (add another hour please).

Disaster struck when I cut open the 9th buttonhole. Even though I used a pin, my seam ripper shot through the end of the buttonhole and about 1.5 cms into the fabric above. I fixed the buttonhole, but decided not to do anything about the tear. I will find out how good an idea that was soon enough. But oh, the agony!

Seamwork Adelaide 07

Now, what about these back darts? I don’t like the dip in the fabric at the end of the darts. I have quite some room there, but if I make those darts bigger, it will take away ease  from my belly as well and I don’t want that. Maybe I should lengthen them a bit?

Because I’d sewn the button plackets first I had to fiddle with the ends a little to get a clean finish (it has some very decorative stitching now). I finished the armscyes and neckline with bias tape, but because it was quite bulky, I decided to fold it under. I really like how it turned out. Because I’d made enough tape to cover the Earth’s circumference I used it to finish the hem too, similarly.

I decided to make a smaller belt (turning it took another episode of Royal Pains, add that) and I left off the button loops because they weren’t really necessary and now I can also wear it as a shift dress (and quite frankly, I’d spent enough time on this bloody dress!)

Yes, I was quite disappointed with how time consuming this dress turned out to be, but I do like it. For the next one I’ll use snaps and store-bought bias tape though…

Seamwork Adelaide 06