So, it’s three-and-a-half months later and the only thing I can write about is something I’m not very happy with. This was a project full of firsts, so I guess it is okay, but it would have been nice to be able to share a perfect garment with you. I am talking about the Cynthia Rowley Simplicity 2406 dress.
The process: I worked out some sort of pattern matching, cut the pattern pieces and then realised I really didn’t want to sew this dress using only a regular sewing machine, since the fabric I chose has 4-way stretch. As this was my first project sewing knit fabric, I decided to take the pattern pieces with me on a visit to my parents’ so I could use my mum’s serger. (I realise I am mixing up American and British spelling really badly here, but I’d like to think of it as poetic freedom…) This meant that I did things in a different order than I was supposed to, but it worked out in the end.
The fit: Deciding what size to cut out is always very tricky due to my stupid waist-belly-hip ratio, which resulted in a dress that is too big at the top and only okayish in the middle. It’s a shame.
This is one of the less awkward pictures…
The fabric: As I said, a knit with 4-way stretch. Quite heavy, but also very drapey and comfortable. As I was sewing, I tried it on a few times without the sash and it kept feeling like I was wearing pajamas. Wearing it with the sash actually turned it into a dress that looks quite sophisticated, and isn’t that the best? Nothing beats comfy pretty dresses.
The result: This dress is supposed to have an open back. I always have a top underneath everything I wear, so I liked the idea. It’s different from any other dress I own. Except, because the neckline turned out to be way too wide, you don’t notice it at all. I made an overlap, so it wouldn’t keep falling off my shoulders, but it made the facing wobbly too and the effect is lost. I made pleats instead of gathering the fabric at the front and I really like that.
The dress had pockets too, but they made my belly even more bulky, so I cut them off and sewed the skirt back together again.
So, all in all, I do like the idea of the dress and I will probably make another one, but I will really have to make the top a size, or even two sizes, smaller and grade out towards the size I used now for the bottom half, and even then I think it’s just not going to be very flattering…
On to another new pattern first, me thinks! Something summery, because temperatures reaching 25 degrees Celcius mid April call for pretty summer dresses!